Earlier this year, I received at message from Jenn at Mommytime365 to tell me that she nominated me for a Liebster Award! So much was going on at the time that I didn’t get around to post about the award. A little over a week ago, I got another surprise when I was also nominated by Lindsey from Macaroni and Merlot. Thank you so much Jenn and Lindsey.
So, now I bet you’re asking, what is a Liebster award?
If you’re familiar with the German language, you’ll know that the word “liebster” has several definitions: dearest, sweetest, kindest, nicest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, welcome, sweetheart and boyfriend (I still don’t get the boyfriend part, but ok)
This award recognises new blogs and is awarded by a blogger to a blogger – a way of saying ‘Hello there, welcome to blogging, your blog is ‘Liebster”. So, thanks!
In order to claim this virtual award, you need to follow a few simple rules:
Thank the person who nominated you and link back to their blog
Display the award
Answer their questions in a blog post
Give 11 random facts about yourself
Nominate 5-10 blogs with 400 followers or less
Let your nominees know you nominated them
Give them eleven questions to answer
Simple and fun.
Since I received 2 nominations, I selected a few questions from each person
1. If you could have one superpower what would it be?
This is an obvious one for me! I would have the power to heal illness. This would be the best super power E.V.E.R.
2. What is your guilty pleasure?
Dried figs and a good piece of cheese (mature cheddar or chevre). And I am very specific about the figs and the cheese for this combination to taste just right. And anything vanilla. I die for vanilla!
3. Do you have any pets? If so what are they and what are their names.
Our mollie called Molly was with us for quite a while (the longest time a bowl fish has been with us) but she moved on to the next life last Sunday and now we have a goldfish called Dmitri (named after Dmitri Vegas – because we like to party hard to the beats in our house).
4. What is your favorite thing about being a mom?
Love to the power of a million. Those cuddles never seem to last long enough. Loose little hands around my neck. The way my heart melts when I hear ‘mamma’ (even in the middle of the night).
5. What is your least favorite thing about being a mom?
I always had a problem trying to do so many things in one day, and now with a toddler in the loop it makes it even harder. There are just not enough hours in the day.
6. What is your favorite memory?
Oh, this is a tough one because I have so many! I don’t think I can pick just one – so in time order: the road trips we used to take when I was a child, we used to pack up the family station wagon (in the 80’s) or the minivan (in the 90’s) and we would go visit our family in Florida or travel to other parts of Canada. The day I got married to the love of my life, a day I will always cherish. The moment my son was born, it still makes my heart flutter because it was the most beautiful but scariest moment in my life.
7. How did you get started blogging?
When I found out I was pregnant I thought about how great it would be to document my pregnancy. I wanted to take photos and keep track of my progress and I wanted to share my pregnancy experiences with other mothers. My excitement about the blog dwindled at my 20 week mark when we were told that the baby had severe hydronephrosis. Everything just went down hill from there and I remember just being so worried, it was difficult to talk about it. I didn’t feel like sharing. I also struggled with what to share and how much to share, especially on this small island where I live. Looking back now, I wish I had posted more. I still wrote random posts now and then, but it wasn’t nearly as often as I would have liked. Then last year, when I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I found great comfort in reading stories and experiences of other mothers and it really made me see how important it was to share. From sharing my experiences to posting about cool kid’s stuff, the blog has become a great outlet to the outside world.
8. What are you scared of?
Future surgeries that H will need, and illness in general. Although I know that the planned surgeries for H will help him, it’s scary as hell. You can buy anything you want and if you don’t have money, you could work and buy what you wanted or needed, but you can’t buy your health or do much if you are ill. I learned this the hard way and I am afraid of it happening again to me or to anyone close to me.
9. What are your goals for this year?
HA! I turn 40 this year and I need to make up for these past 2 difficult years. Like turning 30, this is a big milestone for me, and I have quite a bit I want to do. I just hope I’m not setting myself up for disappointment.
10. If you could book a plane ticket to anywhere, where would you go?
If anywhere means a break from the everyday, then I’m on that plane to ANYWHERE! But I seriously would love to visit Toronto and revisit my old neighbourhood and friends. Then my dream vacation would be to go to Bora Bora in one of those huts on the water. Dreamy. And if I still had time and money left (this is hypothetical, so I will) I would take a serious vacation in Japan.
11 random facts about myself:
1. When I was young I wanted to be a fashion designer ( I still dream)
2. I am a real night owl if I can make it past the 10pm mark without falling asleep
3. I love, love, love notebooks and quirky stationary
4. I am the eldest sibling, with one younger brother and sister
5. I had a temp job at the OPM (office of the Prime Minister)
6. I have a certificate in anatomy, physiology and body massage
7. Most of my formal education was in sciences
8. I love big cities and used to wander around downtown Toronto when I was young, without my parents knowing
9. I almost always have about 4 projects going at the same time, so even sitting at my computer blogging or doing work for clients, my sewing machine is on, I have a crochet project in progress and am working on other miscellaneous graphic design.
10. My first job was in an Italian Bakery/Deli slicing coldcut meats and cheeses.
11. I am obsessed with Pinterest
I would love to nominate:
Josepha from Cup of Crazy
Maureen from Island Fairy
Sandra from Mummy & Baby Blog
Desiree from La Petite Peach
Sarah from Taming Twins
Lacy from Living on Love Blog
Shelby from Brandon and Shelby
Vesna from Once upon a Monday
My Questions For The Nominees:
1. What makes you laugh out loud?
2. What is your favourite memory?
3. What made you decide to start blogging?
4. Where do you live and what do you like best about where you live?
5. When you were a child, what did you say you wanted to be when you grew up?
6. What is your guilty pleasure?
7. What are your goals for this year?
8. If you could have one super power, what would it be?
9. What do you like most about being a mom?
10. What is your least favourite thing about being a mom?