The Dawn


Just nine weeks into the new year, 6 of which have been filled with an unfathomable range of emotions and plenty of memorable events.

Although the most aggressive part of the treatment for my breast cancer is complete, I still have to continue other treatment at The Oncology Centre every three weeks. At every appointment, I am seen by a doctor who asks about any problems and I expressed my recent increase in numbness and tingling in my arm, hand and foot. The doctor looked at me, paused, and asked if I had taken a CT of my brain. My jaw dropped, my  eyes welled up, and with whatever strength I had left, I used my voice to say no. The tears began to roll down my face, I was in complete shock-again. My appointment was scheduled for 3 days later. Needless to say I was completely and utterly distraught and spent three restless days waiting. To my great relief the scan was clear.

Four days after that, I had my last radiotherapy treatment. Boy, was I thankful that was over. It wasn’t painful or anything, but the waiting room and the treatment room were always freezing. And yes, I live on a Mediterranean island, but winter is still cold and damp. So I was glad I no longer had to get undressed and bare myself in those cold conditions.

A week later, H was seen by a surgeon for a follow-up appointment after his last surgery and everything was ok. He was also seen by his specialist who was in Malta in February and she was pleased with his progress. Providing all remains well, H won’t need any surgeries until the end of this year or next year. Yay!

H also turned two. I still can’t believe 2 years have gone by, and though the times have been tough, I wouldn’t change a thing. He is my joy and my strength. He got me through those hard times, I fought for him, because of him and beside him.  I decided to pass on the full birthday party this year. There was just too much going on and I needed to preserve my strength a little more.

DSC_2584 DSC_2585

For his birthday we finally took a trip to the Aquarium and H loved it. We all did, and I couldn’t have been happier spending the day together. We had to put off going before since I could not be any place where there might be a chance of getting any sort of infections; animals, wet area, damp-not ideal.


And to top off all the good, bad and the ugly; the dawn after all the darkness, my scan was clear and I am cancer free! I wept, what seemed to be endless tears of joy when I was given the results of the scan. You see, when I had my first visit with my oncologist, prior to my treatment last year, he had told me that from my initial scans, they saw a mark on my lung. It was too small to carry out further tests at the time, so I had to wait until now to see that nothing had changed. The relief I felt hearing the breast cancer is clear with normal scarring and that there were no other changes, was like a weight was lifted off of my chest and the shadows over my head cleared – just like that.

me and henry


No Comments Yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


A place to share happy things,
creative ideas & the joys of parenting.

            Follow Me on Instagram     Follow Me on Bloglovin'